As of January 1, 2022 the Pennsylvania Department of Labor and Industry has adopted the following Accessibility provisions of the 2021 I-codes as published by the International Code Council:
• 2021 International Building Code Chapter 11 and Appendix E
• ICC A117.1-2017 Accessibility Standard and Commentary
• 2021 International Plumbing Code Sections 403.4, 403.5, 404 and 405.3.1
• 2021 International Swimming Pool and Spa Code Section 307.1.4
• 2021 International Existing Building Code Sections 306, 1101.2, 1508 and Appendix B
On February 14, 2022 the following amendments to the Pennsylvania Uniform Construction will take effect:
• 2018 International Wildland-Urban Interface Code
• 2018 ICC Performance Code for Buildings and Facilities
• 2018 International Swimming Pool and Spa Code
• 2018 International Fuel Gas Code
• 2018 International Mechanical Code
• 2017 Allegheny County Health Department Article XV, Plumbing Rules and Regulations
• 2018 International Fire Code (adopted by reference ONLY)
• 2018 International Building Code (with amendments)
• 2018 International Existing Building Code (with amendments)
• 2018 International Energy conservation Code (with amendments)
• 2018 International Residential Code (with amendments)
The full list of amendments can be found here: https://www.dli.pa.gov/ucc/Documents/ICC-Code-Review-2018-Final-Report.pdf
Per the Pennsylvania Uniform Construction Code, Act 45 0f 1999 as amended, Section 304 (c) Prior permits, contracts and construction Item 4 “Where a design or construction contract was signed before the effective date of regulations for a subsequent Uniform Construction Code or International Fuel Gas Code issued under this Act, the permit may be issued under the Uniform Construction Code or International Fuel Gas Code in effect at the time the design or construction contract was signed if the permit is applied for within six months of the effective date of the regulation or the period specified by a municipal ordinance, whichever is less.”
All projects submitted to Findlay Township after January 1, 2022 must either comply with the new updated ACCESSIBILTY regulations or submit proof, acceptable to the Building Code Official, that the project meets Section 304(c) Item 4 of the UCC. The deadline for this exemption is July 1, 2022. Any project submitted after July 1, 2022 must comply with the 2021 Accessibility provisions as adopted by the PA UCC.
All other provisions:
All projects submitted to Findlay Township after February 14, 2022 must either comply with the new updated regulations or submit proof, acceptable to the Building Code Official, that the project meets Section 304(c) Item 4 of the UCC. The deadline for this exemption is August 14, 2022. Any project submitted after August 14, 2022 must comply with the 2018 I-codes as adopted by the PA UCC.
Should you have any questions regarding the new code adoption please reach out to the Findlay Township Inspectors at 724-695-0500.
Building permits are required for the following commercial and residential projects in Findlay Township: new construction and additions, remodeling and alterations (with the exception of residential remodeling and alterations that do not involve structural changes or changes in the means of egress), decks (where the floor of the deck is more than 30 inches above grade-a zoning permit only is still required for decks less than 30 inches above grade), and swimming pools (both in-ground and above-ground pools with water depth greater than 2 feet). PLEASE NOTE: Findlay Township does not require Contractor or Business Licenses, however proof of Worker's Compensation Insurance is required.
Building permits are also required for all commercial detached miscellaneous use/utility structures such as garages, carports, greenhouses, storage sheds, etc. A building permit may or may not be required for a residential use/utility structure depending on the type of residence the structure is accessory to and the size of the structure. Building permit fees are based on the square footage of the proposed construction.
All construction is inspected by the Findlay Township Inspection Department for compliance with the 2015 I-Codes. If you are not sure if your project requires a building permit, please contact the Findlay Township Building Inspection Department at 724-695-0500 before you start construction.
PLEASE NOTE: ON OCTOBER 30, 2019, THE FINDLAY TOWNSHIP BUILDING INSPECTION DEPARTMENT ADOPTED A NEW ELECTRICAL INSPECTION POLICY. IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS, PLEASE CONTACT OUR BUILDING INSPECTION OFFICE
AT 724-695-0500 X 250 OR X 258